Initial Cygwin process hangs on exit waiting for background processes to complete ...

Anthony & Yinkwan yinkwan2@attbi.com
Tue Aug 13 00:04:00 GMT 2002

I'm running the latest Cygwin distribution on NT 4.0 (poor me) and it
exhibits the following irritating behavior in shells launched from the
Windows environment (e.g. the Cygwin Bash script, or the XFree86 start
script).

If there are any background processes, the invoking Cygwin process hangs
until they exit. Even the following trivial example :

# sleep 120 &
# exit

... elicits the problem with the shell's window hanging in until the
sleep completes. The upshot is more cosmetic than anything else
resulting in a shell window hanging around for the duration of my
XFree86 session.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks,

Anthony Shortland