Cygwin 'login' command does not work - why?

Joe Wilson developir@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 15:12:00 GMT 2002

What are the minimum requirements to get the following Cygwin command to work?

$ login Administrator
Password:
Login incorrect

It always responds "Login incorrect" despite entering the correct password
and being already logged in as the user 'Administrator':

$ id
uid=500(Administrator) gid=513(None) groups=0(Everyone),513(None),544(Administrators),545(Users)

I have already tried:

 mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
 mkgroup -l > /etc/group

and have ntsec set in the CYGWIN variable.
What else am I missing?

What other files, environment variables, or registry items or Windows
features does login.exe make use of?

This ought to be pretty simple, shouldn't it?

The truth is that I don't care about "login", per se, it's just that
no other Cygwin service requiring authentication will work on my
Windows 2000 machine so the login example is simplest case.
Since that does not work then sshd, telnetd, ftpd don't work either.