gcc -gcoff 2nd try

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Wed Aug 28 07:36:00 GMT 2002

At 10:09 AM 8/28/2002, Hans Horn wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I do not know what it takes to get a response to a posting - may be one
>needs to be member of some mysterious inner circle?

There's no inner circle.  One shouldn't interpret a lack of response as
some kind of fiendish plot to shun posters.  It just sometimes turns out
that no one in the audience has a good answer for the problem you have
and/or doesn't have the time to question you further about it to find out
what the problem really is.  It's one of those things that "just happens".
Don't take it too hard.  Remember, this is just a community email list, not
a commercial (i.e. paid) support line.

>Anycase, I'll give it another try:
>
>I was playing around with gcc debug options, which, (according to the gcc
>man pages) are supposed to work (on supported systems).:
>
>With the -gcoff (instead of the default -g) switch I got:
>
>gcc -c -gcoff tst.c
>/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/HANSHO~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccyukfzt.s: Assembler messages:
>/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/HANSHO~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccyukfzt.s:65: Fatal error:
>C_EFCN symbol out of scope
>
>Any clues / hints ?

I'd say this indicates that the version of gcc that you're using isn't
capable of using this options properly.  Sorry, I don't know any checks you
can make to verify this more completely though.

>p.s. I am using cygwin 1.3.10 on Win2k. I don't know what gcc vintage this
>cygwin version ships.

gcc --version will tell you, just like on any platform.  Be aware that there
are two versions of gcc available for Cygwin at the moment, 2.95.2 and 3.x.
You may want to figure out which you have and try the other to see if it
helps.