Make and shell calls

Wendy Vanhonacker wvanhon@us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 30 14:34:00 GMT 2002

Hi,
I'm using cygwin on NT to run some makefiles, and I have a problem with a
shell command line.
I'm calling the makefile from the DOS.
Here what I get:

with:
d:/sbroot/bin :
      mkdir d:/sbroot/bin

I get the error:

mkdir d:/sbroot/bin
 175510 [main] make 786 proc_subproc: Couldn't duplicate my handle<0x10C>
for pid 2283400, Win32 error 6
Invalid switch - /bin

I don't know what shell it is using, but when I try directly on DOS with sh
I have the same thing , but when I do it on the cygwin window  it works!
I don't know if I should need '/' or '\'.
I guess it's a porblem of transfer between cygwin and MSDOS. (I did all the
environment variables changes..).

If I do it with backward slash I get the error:
d:\sbroot\bin :
      mkdir d:\sbroot\bin

Error:
mkdir d:\sbroot\bin
Extended Error 183

   3039 [main] make 949 proc_subproc: Couldn't duplicate my handle<0x10C>
for pid 0, Win32 error 6
make[1]: mkdir: Command not found
make[1]: *** [d:\sbroot\bin] Error 127

Where is the problem.
What do you do with '\' and '/'? Should I put forward slash everywhere
since it's a UNIX window?

The invalid switch error usually comes when you use MSDOS syntax instead or
unix or reverse...

PLease help!