cygwin's autoconf?

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Dec 1 09:28:00 GMT 2002

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> That's not the point: I have no problem on my cybwin developement
> machine: the problem is that ./configure-generated Makefile tries to
> call the autotools on each different machine, even in no-one changed
> configure.in or Makefile.am
>
> The client machine shouldn't need autotools or the know-how to use them,
> right?

Not necessarily.  If configure.in doesn't have AM_MAINTAINER_MODE, then
the default behavior is for all of the "maintainer rules" to be active
all the time.  That means configure searches for automake, autoconf,
etc. and uses them to rebuild the infrastructure if necessary.  Now,
even if the maint-mode rules never get invoked, during *configure* you
might get "test" invocations -- and it looks like those test invocations
are failing.

The behavior YOU are familiar with, where the maint-mode rules are never
invoked and configure doesn't even search for the autotools, requires
that configure.in include the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE macro, and you
configure *without* --enable-maintainer-mode.

Again, automake-1.7.1 requires autoconf-2.54.  Make sure you have the
latest versions of auto*-devel installed -- or that NONE of the
following are installed:
   automake
   automake-stable
   automake-devel