IOV_MAX value

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Tue Dec 3 12:09:00 GMT 2002

Christophe,

I think that definition of IOV_MAX is telling you that there is no
pre-defined limit. Ordinarily we don't complain about such things, but if
you write code that statically allocates a resource based on such a limit
indication, you're in trouble.

I notice that there are two definitions of IOV_MAX. One is in
/usr/include/limits.h and the other is in /usr/include/sys/limits.h. The
latter gives 1024, the former has the (__INT_MAX__ - 1) value you mention.
The file in /usr/include/sys/ identifies itself as originating in Berkeley
Unix (FreeBSD), while the one in /usr/include identifies itself as a Cygwin
component.

Others have worked on building ACE under Cygwin, so you might want to check
the email archives.

Randall Schulz
Mountain VIew, CA USA