postgres 7.3 IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600)failed: Function not implemented

Dan Holmsand dan@eyebee.com
Sun Dec 8 16:53:00 GMT 2002

Elfyn,

elfyn-cygwin@mail.exposure.org.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting the exact same results as you are Jari. I had a working
> postgres install just before the return values were changed in cygipc
> (1.12), but as i only use it rarely i did not notice the service starting
> or not starting up. From what I can see it looks like postgres.exe was not
> linked with libcygipc.a.
>
> Jason, can you confirm that postgres is working? Is there anyone else with
> the *behaviour*?
>
> Elfyn
> elfyn@exposure.org.uk

I get a similar error:

IpcSemaphoreInitialize: semctl(id=2, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument

if the account postmaster is running under ("postgres" in my case)
doesn't have read AND write rights to the /tmp/MultiFile[Sem/Msg/Shm] files.

You may try deleting these files (and /tmp/cygipc_* to be safe), and
starting ipc_daemon manually from the same account as postmaster is
running under. Does that make a difference?

I've added a "chown postgres /tmp/MultiFile*" to my start script for
ipc-daemon, and postgres 7.3 now works beautifully. YMMV, of course.

/dan