postgres 7.3 IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600)failed: Function not implemented

Dan Holmsand dan@eyebee.com
Mon Dec 9 10:41:00 GMT 2002

Jason,

Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 12:05:16AM +0100, Dan Holmsand wrote:
>
>>I get a similar error:
>>
>>IpcSemaphoreInitialize: semctl(id=2, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument
>

> The above is noted in the README:
>
>     2. It is recommended to delete all cygipc temporary files
>     (/tmp/cygipc* and /tmp/MultiFile*) before starting postmaster under
>     a different user account.  Otherwise, postmaster will fail to start
>     due to IPC errors.

I know. However, this doesn't necessarily help if ipc-daemon is run by
one account (say, "system" or "administrator") and postmaster by another
(say, "postgres"). In my experience at least, postgres must have read
AND write rights to the /tmp/MultiFile* files, otherwise you get the
above error on startup.

That is not entirely clear in the README, imho.

/dan