Force bash to start as administrator

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Wed Dec 11 11:28:00 GMT 2002

lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com wrote:

> Type this in a bash window:
> cygrunsrv -I LoginShell -d "Login shell" -p /usr/bin/cygstart -a
> /usr/bin/login -e "CYGWIN=tty binmode ntsec"
>
> Go to the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services
> Right click on "LoginShell" and go to properties.
> Go to the "Log On" tab and check the "Allow service to interact with
> desktop"

Hmmm... In my Windows XP I don't see an "Allow service to interact with
desktop" selection on the "Log On" tab.

> Follow this with this in a bash window: cygrunsrv -S LoginShell

Why not simply select start in the services applet instead of having to
start a shell and type a command? If net start LoginShell is a shorter
command!

> This will give you a new console window with the login prompt. From here,
> you can log in as anybody, assuming you know the proper passwords. ;-)
>
> You should be able to use ssh to do this as well, which should be easier
> than going through the above gyrations.

Or telnet or rlogin if one sets up inetd...