Force bash to start as administrator

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Wed Dec 11 16:11:00 GMT 2002

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Please don't email me directly - keep it on the list!
>

> My mailer (pine) replies to the sender and Cc's to the list unless
> there's a Reply-To. Many people aren't subscribed to the list, and
> thus would prefer the mail sent directly to them. It is nigh
> impossible to keep track of individual preferences, so it helps to
> provide a Reply-To header if you want the response to go to the list.
> I'm modifying this particular message to go to the list only, but in
> the future, as a courtesy to people replying to your messages, please
> set a Reply-To header to indicate your preference.

Ah and there's the rub. I had previously set Reply-To but I use the
gname gateway to news. And when I set Reply-To this breaks the gname
gateway and I cannot post though it.

IMHO, mail lists are mail lists and if you wish to follow the action
then you participate. You state that many people aren't subscribed to
the list. As you (and I) do not know how many people are not subscribed
vs. how many people are subscribed it's fair to say that many people are
subscribed to the list to and do not need additional email. So one could
go either way - either always mail back to the list and cc the poster or
always mail back to the list and not cc the poster. Who's to say who is
more correct? I think, givein that mail lists are supposed to be
participtory in nature things should be kept on the list and if people
are interested then they will come to the list for answers and subscribe.

Otherwise I will simply set up a filter to ignore all email from you :-) !

Again, I don't appreciate getting email that's a copy of what I'll be
reading on the list shortly anyway.

> Oh, and the previous message was Cc'd to the list.

Yes I noticed. I was talking about the CC'ing to me part.