Why "No such file ..." in path ? 1.3.17

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Thu Dec 12 10:10:00 GMT 2002

Kun,

I need to correct myself (since no one else did!)...

At 19:30 2002-12-11, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>Kun,

>Include files required during C or C++ compilation are located via a
>separate search path maintained by the compiler and not driven by any
>environment variable, at least not in the Cygwin compiler, which is GCC.

There _are_ environment variables to tell GCC where to find files. This is
an excerpt from the (rather long) man page for "gcc":

-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
Some additional environments variables affect the behavior
of the preprocessor.

CPATH

C_INCLUDE_PATH

CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

OBJC_INCLUDE_PATH
     Each variable's value is a list of directories
     separated by a special character, much like PATH, in
     which to look for header files.  The special
     character, PATH_SEPARATOR, is target-dependent and
     determined at GCC build time.  For Windows-based
     targets it is a semicolon, and for almost all other
     targets it is a colon.

     CPATH specifies a list of directories to be searched
     as if specified with -I, but after any paths given
     with -I options on the command line.  The environment
     variable is used regardless of which language is being
     preprocessed.

     The remaining environment variables apply only when
     preprocessing the particular language indicated.  Each
     specifies a list of directories to be searched as if
     specified with -isystem, but after any paths given
     with -isystem options on the command line.

I believe the rest of what I wrote was accurate.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA