Slowness on app startup after recent update (and yes I read the FAQ)

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Fri Dec 13 15:14:00 GMT 2002

Ron,

Again, a good place to look is your environment.

This example suggests strongly that your HOME environment variable is
simply "/". I think some code (in this case "cvs") blindly takes the value
of environment variables that are meant to name directories and blindly
appends a slash and whatever path components lead to the resource they're
looking for. If that root or base directory name is just "/", this problem
ensues.

Also, note that repeated slashes are only a problem at the beginning of a
path name. Elsewhere they're idempotent.

By the way, in output like the kind you've attached in the last two posts,
it's a good idea to try to prevent line wrapping. If that's not an option
with your mail client (or if the mail servers or list processors along the
way are going to override your choice not to wrap long lines), then put the
content in an attachment so it doesn't get mangled.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA