rxvt, once again...

Shankar Unni shankar@cotagesoft.com
Sat Dec 28 22:18:00 GMT 2002

Dockeen wrote:
> Hmmm, my results are pretty much the opposite.  In Win2000,
> I can only resize the window in the vertical direction.  In
> Win98SE I could only resize it very slightly, if at all.

Argh. Let's put an end to this once and for all.

In the NT-based series (WinNT4, Win2K, XP Pro), the command window has
two sets of parameters: the *screen buffer* size (width x height), and
the *window* size (what's actually displayed of the buffer).  The
command window will put up an appropriate scrollbar if a buffer
dimension is larger than the corresponding window dimension.

In these OSes, you can drag a window and resize it *up to the buffer
size*. Now, most of us typically set the buffer width and the window
width as the same (80 chars), so you can't resize horizontally, but we
*can* resize vertically if the buffer is larger than the window size
(typically 24 lines).

In Win98 and Me, you cannot drag and expand the window, or set a buffer
size larger than the window size. Period. Don't know if they have
deliberately crippled XP Home to match Me (I don't have XP Home to check..)

--
Shankar.