trying to complibe glib 2.0.7

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 30 15:13:00 GMT 2002

Success with glib-2.0.7.  Just 8 days after the glib folks released the
new stable version, glib-2.2.0.  Sigh.

Anyway, here's the scoop for glib-2.0.7.  First, you need
libtool-devel-20021227-1.  (Then you have to hack it, because there is
one tiny pre-existing bug that I didn't fix; I'll release a new version
of libtool-devel that includes the fix later.)

Then, you need to patch glib-2.0.7, and reautotoolize the whole thing,
using the handy bootstrap script included in the patch.

Then, configure, make.  It passes all tests but one, and I *think* that
one is actually a bug in cygwin's malloc routine.  But I am NOT sure
about that.

Anyway, this email has two attachments:

glib-2.0.7.NOTES === build instructions and requirements, including
   what you need to do to your installed libtool.  Also, a short semi-
   analysis of the string-test.exe failure.

glib-2.0.7.patch.gz == the patch, gzip'ed for size.  (does NOT include
   the changes that reautotoolizing will introduce; THAT would be
   1.8MB uncompressed)

There are a number of places where I blithely replaced G_PLATFORM_WIN32
with G_OS_WIN32 (thus skipping various win32-isms on cygwin, and using
the unix-isms instead).  I tried to only do this where it made sense --
and I kept some win32-isms.  However, it is entirely possible that SOME
of the win32-isms that I killed in the cygwin build are actually needed,
especially as it relates to g_convert_filename functions dealing with
internationalization.

In general, the patches are based on Steven O'Brien's changes for
glib-1.2.10, as well as some earlier work I had done.  And the port owes
a lot to Tor Lilqvist's work with glib+mingw/MSVC.

I don't intend to package glib for cygwin, or to support it.  I just
viewed it as an interesting application/testcase for libtool.  If anyone
wants to take these patches and use them to provide cygwin-glib
package(s), I wouldn't mind -- but be warned, the packaging will be
tricky, since the import libs and headers are versioned, as well as the
dll.  See Nicholas Wourm's packaging structure for
   db2
   libdb2
   libdb2-devel
   db3.1
   libdb3.1
   libdb3.1-devel
You'd probably want to do something like
   glib20       (everything else)
   glib20-devel (includes, import libs)
   glib20-docs  (html docs)
   libglib20_0  (contains the dll)

I *may* update these patches to apply to glib-2.2.0, but no promises.
I've been informed, however, that glib-2.2.0 requires pkgconfig-0.14.
cygwin ships 0.12.  Gee, I hope the maintainer releases an updated
version of pkgconfig for cygwin...oh yeah, that's me.  Sigh.

--Chuck