serveral questions regarding passwd and group on NT

Ling F. Zhang lingfengz@yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 11:13:00 GMT 2002

I just installed cygwin on XP...so I am quite a
newbie, to unix as a whole, actually.

I did mkpass -l > passwd and mkgroup...okay, I know
how I can select individual user and group to use by
using the grep command...however, can I use a group /
user that's NOT on my WINXP machine? say, root / root?
If I remember correctly, in UNIX root has speical GID
and UID?? can I just simply add lines that correspond
to root / root and expect it to work in cygwin? also,
when it import group / user from winxp, it addes a
whole bunch of wierd number with "-" can any one
explain to me what does each :: field represent? Can I
safely manipulate those number? Is there any unix
convention I can follow?