Error reports and queries

Michael Bax mbax@stanford.edu
Wed Feb 6 22:01:00 GMT 2002

Hi

1.
I installed OpenSSH (and therefore OpenSSL) under Cygwin.  My shell is tcsh.
When my shell starts up, it gives an error because the last line of
/etc/profile.d/openssl.csh has an error in the last line.  This should be
"endif" not "fi".

2.
If tcsh is invoked from the command line (for example), the MANPATH variable
gains a duplicate openssl entry.  This is duplicated again each time tcsh is
nested.

3.
The default configuration for tcsh is quite different to most systems'
default tcsh configuration: noglob is set, command-line typo-correction is
enabled, etc.  Any chance that this could be changed to a setup that is more
typical on Unix systems?

4.
I am a power user, not an administrator.  But inside my Cygwin shell I can
read, edit and write arbitrary files in /, /etc, /home/Administrator etc.
This is true both with and without ntsec.  Is this proper behaviour, to
follow the NTFS permissions and disregard the Posix permissions?

5.
It appears that ntsec allows *listing* permissions, but the real permissions
are unchanged with or without ntsec.  Is this right?

6.
What does ntea actually do?  The guide isn't very clear whether this is a
good thing, or exactly what it does: if it simply allows tracking chmod
permissions, how do these interact with the ntsec permissions?

Thank you
Michael