Registry freedom

Doru Carastan doru.carastan@windriver.com
Fri Feb 15 22:16:00 GMT 2002

Hello everybody,

I believe it is time to break free from using the registry. It doesn't
allow for multiple versions to coexists, which creates a nightmare when
it comes to packaging Cygwin with another product.

I've been rebuilding cygwin1.dll for a while with a custom shared memory
id and registry section and I know that it is possible to have a given
cygwin1.dll version coexist with its modified clone. Why not using
GetModuleFileName() to retrieve the path to the dll and look around it
for an mtab like ASCII file. Once the DLL path is retrieved the mtab
file can be searched in $dllDir/../etc/:$dllDir. If it is missing then
assume that there are no custom settings and use the defaults.

I wonder if this can be done. Does anyone see any technical problems?

Thank you,
Doru Carastan