Specifying a .def file for use with libtools libraries

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 18 12:09:00 GMT 2002

You do know that there are TWO (or more) different versions of libtool
in the cygwin distribution, right?  One is based on libtool-1.4.2 and
uses dlltool to generate the DLL.

The other is based on libtool-cvs(2002-02-02) and uses gcc/ld directly
to build the DLLs.  (Note that there are TWO commands to generate DLLs:
"archive_cmds" and "archive_expsym_cmds".  Which one is used depends on
a bunch of stuff).

Finally, there's whatever version of libtool was used in the package you
are working on: most libtoolized packages ship with a ltmain.sh file
already.

If you didn't explicitly re-libtoolize the package, then you are using
whatever version of libtool the upstream maintainer used.  If you DID
explicitly relibtoolize, then you are EITHER using 1.4.2 or 2002-02-02,
depending on what the wrapper script detects from your configure.in/ac file.

If you didn't understand that (what's all this about wrapper scripts??),
then you REALLY need to read /usr/doc/Cygwin/auto*.README,
/usr/doc/Cygwin/libtool*.README and check out THIS email message:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00177.html

Now, which version of libtool are you REALLY using?

--chuck

P.S. with respect to the cygwin "devel" libtool, it is a work in
progress.  It works for everything *I've* tried so far: "normal" C and
C++ dlls.  I haven't attempted to hide symbols (as you are doing) so I
can neither confirm nor deny that it works/breaks.  Of course, I don't
know if even the OLD libtool-1.4.2 method *really* allows that, so this
may not be a "regression" per se.  Also, Ralf Habacker *previously*
problems wrt KDE DLLs using the 20010531 cygwin "devel" libtool, but I
don't know whether the 20020202 cygwin "devel" libtool fixes those
problems for him.  (Again, this is not a regression because 1.4.2 can't
build the KDE DLLs at all, so...)