putc_unlocked in stdio.h but not in libs (1.3.11-3)

Marcello Perathoner marcello@perathoner.de
Wed Jul 3 07:11:00 GMT 2002

According to the FAQ putc_unlocked is not implemented and you don't find
it in the libraries. But it is present in the stdio.h header.

Highlander@FOOL ~
$ grep putc_unlocked /usr/include/*.h
/usr/include/stdio.h:int        _EXFUN(putc_unlocked, (int, FILE *));

Highlander@FOOL ~
$ nm /lib/*.a | grep putc_unlocked

Highlander@FOOL ~

How to reproduce:

1. Get diffutils-2.8.1 package and unpack
2. ./configure
3. make

Linker complains about missing function putc_unlocked.

The configure script thinks putc_unlocked is supported, because it is in
the headers and configure just compiles the test but doesn't try to link
it against the libs.

Is there something I missed? I just installed cygwin yesterday from
setup.exe.

Greetings
Marcello