access port 127.0.0.1:1052

Jon Cast jcast@ou.edu
Wed Jul 3 19:31:00 GMT 2002

Alex Chan <alexchan@amazingmedia.com> wrote:
> After upgrading from 1.3.9 to 1.3.12, I noticed that many cygwin
> programs including bash, ls, which, echo and clear attempt to access
> port 1052 on 127.0.0.1 (ZoneAlarm alerts me to this activity).

> I could not find any documentation on this port or why this access
> is necessary. Has anyone else observed this behavior?  Does anyone
> know what it is for?

You do realize you're asking about Free Software, right?  That means
you have (or can get) the source code yourself, and find the answer to
this and nearly every other question.  Even if you don't have the time
to do that, every one else on this list also has the source code.
While THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO IMPOSE OR DEMAND AN ANSWER (capital
letters because newbies often impose and demand answers), there is
/no/ reason for speculation ``does anyone know what it is for''.
Unless the behavior is un-intentional (which seems very unlikely) the
Cygwin developers (who read this list) /will/ know what it is for.

Just FYI, of course.

> Thanks,

> -alex

Jon Cast