Cygwin access from outside cygwin -- How to do it?

Michael A Chase mchase@ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 11 21:54:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:16:30 -0700 Dennis Allison <allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU> wrote:

> Here's the situation.  I am running Smalltalk on Win2K. The Smalltalk program
> needs to invoke latex running under cygwin.  We have it set up so the
> Win3SystemSupport package provides a command line interface into Win2K.
>
> What I want to do is invoke a complex of perl scripts and programs which
> currently live (and work!) under cygwin--that is, I can go into the
> cygwin shell and run the stuff.  However, from Smalltalk, the command line
> interface can't seem to find perl or any of the other programs.
>
> Clearly there is something failing in the path resolution!  I'd appreciate
> some help (or hints or words of wisdom) identifying what to do next to get
> the systems to communicate.  How does one expose the cygwin command line
> interfact in the Win2K environment?  Maybe I should start with
> cygwin.bat?

No.  Cygwin.bat sets things up for interactive operation.  You should
probably put everything in a bash shell script and then execute bash with
the script file path as an argument.  That way everything from that point
on is inside the Cygwin environment.

If you want to execute individual commands, make sure c:\cygwin\bin is
somewhere in %PATH%.  You should then be able to execute any Cygwin binary
program just like any MSDOS one.  Shell and Perl scripts will probably
require you to include the shell executable (e.g., bash.exe) or perl.exe as
part of your command line.

It may make things easier if you use '/' instead of '\' in file paths
(except the initial executable passed through cmd.exe).  You don't have to
use POSIX paths like /cygdrive/c/dir/dir/file'; 'c:/dir/dir/file' works
quite well in place of 'c:\dir\dir\file'.  On the other hand, once you are
in the Cygwin environment, you can use any mount points visible to the
account you are running under.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html