Symlink destinations question

David E Euresti davie@MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 17 11:42:00 GMT 2002

Hello,
	I have a quick question.  I couldn't find the answer in the list.
In unix when I cd into a symlink then pwd I get the directory of where I
land, not how I got there.  so sometimes "cd link; cd .." doesn't bring
you back to the same place.

	I want to place some symlinks into a Network drive that point to
other networks drives.  Unfortunately when I cd into it, every time I ls
it goes back to the original Network drive to check that symlink.  Here
let me explain it better.

/driveE points to a network Drive on the other side of the world.
/driveF is a network drive next door.
/driveE/myFiles is a symlink to /driveF

so when I cd /driveE/myFiles I'm actually communicating with /driveF.
However my pwd is still /driveE/myFiles this means that anytime I run a
command from this directory or any of its children it checks what the
symlink to myFiles is.  Sending various lookup and read messages to the
other side of the world.  Is there any way to tell cygwin, once you've
crossed a link forget about where you came from?

By the way this example is meant to be innane.  It's not exactly what I'm
trying to do.

Thanks,
David