an ``open'' command which resolves file associations

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Sun Jul 21 15:53:00 GMT 2002

Qiezi,

The attached shell (BASH) script works fine for me.

It doesn't have any help output, so I'll give a quick run-down here:

open [ option | target ] ...

         -f      Force (chmod +x first)
         -n      Don't execute (echo what would be done instead)

Targets:
         file name, relative or absolute including Cygwin symlinks
         URL using "file:", "http:" or "https:" schemes

The one major limitation I've never been able to work around is the
inability to open files with spaces in their names. I have to believe
there's a way to make it work, but nothing I tried worked, so I just gave
up. If anyone can fix this, I'd really appreciate getting the changes fed
back to me.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA