Odd mount and path problem

Larry V. Streepy, Jr. streepy@healthlanguage.com
Mon Jul 22 12:42:00 GMT 2002

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

>>d:\cygwin\home on /home type system (binmode)
>>\cygwin\sbin on /sbin type system (binmode)
>>\cygwin\bin on /bin type system (binmode)
>>

> basic response is :
> you miss the DOS drive letter in your mount points
> and the / moint point looks wrong (maybe d:\cygwin ?):
> D: on / type system (binmode)

Excellent - that was the problem, although I really don't understand
why.  Once d:/ is mounted on /, why do I need to qualify all the other
mount points?

> should be:
> d:\cygwin\sbin on /sbin type system (binmode)
> d:\cygwin\bin on /bin type system (binmode)
>
> you seem to have too mount points.
> typical mount points are :
> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type
> system (binmo
> de)
> C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
> C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
> C:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
> c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)

As I mentioned, I don't want /cygwin mounted as /.  This leads to the
additional mount points to get things like etc, usr, etc. mounted under /.

Thanks a ton.

Note that this would appear to be the same issue that has plagued people
regarding man not working with file not found errors.

--
Larry V. Streepy, Jr.