Valid file-name characters

David A. Cobb superbiskit@cox.net
Tue Jul 23 16:16:00 GMT 2002

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> At 16:18 2002-07-22, David A. Cobb wrote:

>> It only makes sense to me to escape characters that are a real
>> problem ( vs. a nuisance ) for one system or the other.  The ones I'm
>> sure of in Windoz are the colon and slashes.  Would Linux, for
>> example, allow a file with (shell-escapd) backslashes?  There are
>> others, but I haven't done the research yet.
>

> See the attached GIF for Windows' reproach. If you don't care to do
> that, I'll transcribe:

I have plenty of reproaches for them too!  Thanks, I meant to conjure up
that box.
I'm thinking of this as the _last_ step before sending a windowized
pathname to the OS -- encode any of the char's shown except the
PATH-SEP.  Actually, both slashes are verboten.  Coming back the other
way I'd be tempted to be more permissive and try decoding any %XY | X in
{0..9+A..F), Y in (0..9+A..F) but that may be an evil temptation.
 Reversing only what we ourselves do is far safer.

> Randall Schulz
> Mountain View, CA USA

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.
Life is too short to tolerate crappy software.
.