problem with a ssh server under cygwin

Frank-Michael Moser moser@decodon.com
Wed Jul 24 07:28:00 GMT 2002

 > I have set up a ssh server under cygwin (WinXP). When i try to
 > connect with public key authentication from my linux box i get
 > this message from the ssh server:
 >
 > You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
 > d:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** could not load wsock32, Win32 error 126
 > Connection to bigbad closed.

I encountered exactly the same problem.

I'm running Cygwin on WinXP. The sshd is started as service which was
installed via cygrunsrv and configured *without* privsep. I setup public
key authentication months ago and it worked fine until around two weeks
ago (I always updated OpenSSH). Now I always get the message described
above regardless of whether I try to login from localhost or from a
linux box.

But when I stop sshd (net stop sshd) and start /usr/sbin/sshd -d
everything works fine. I attached the output of /usr/sbin/sshd -d as
well as the output of cygcheck -s.

Frank-Michael

DECODON GmbH                        phone: +49(0)3834 515231
W.-Rathenau-Str. 49a                  fax: +49(0)3834 515239
17489 Greifswald                    email: moser@decodon.com
Germany                               web:   www.decodon.com