GhostScript ps2pdf
James Peroulas
james.peroulas@ateliertelecom.se
Fri Jun 7 01:24:00 GMT 2002
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dario Alcocer [mailto:alcocer@helixdigital.com]
> Sent: den 6 juni 2002 23:06
> To: James Peroulas
> Cc: McDougall@agecon.purdue.edu; cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: GS ps2pdf
>
>
> >>>>> "James" == James Peroulas <james.peroulas@ateliertelecom.se> writes:
>
> James> Hi all, I noticed on the cygwin mailing list that you guys
> James> were having the same problem that I am
> James> having. Specifically, "ps2pdf" gives me the error message
> James> "**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting."
>
> NOTE: I've moved this to the Cygwin mailing list, where this kind of
> discussion belongs...
>
> I've not seen this problem myself, so all I can say is: make sure you
> are using the latest release. If you're still having problems, please
> feel free to e-mail the Cygwin mailing list with more specific
> information, like maybe a small PS file sample which causes the
> failure mode you're referring to.
Hi, I'm the one that made the original post. I'm using the latest version of
cygwin+everything (as of 2002-06-06) on Windows 2000.
I've attached a simple postscript file and when I use the windows native
ghostscript and ghostview applications, I can both open this postscript file
and convert it into a valid pdf file.
When I run ps2pdf in cygwin, however, I get the following:
DESKTOP62 513: ps2pdf test.ps
**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
I've also tried calling ghostscript directly, with the same results:
DESKTOP62 518:
gs -dSAFER -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -
sOutputFile=test.pdf -c .setpdfwrite -f test.ps
**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
The problem persists no matter what postscript file I try to convert.
However, if I change the device, I can get the conversion to complete:
DESKTOP62 523:
gs -dSAFER -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=bmpmono -s
OutputFile=test.bmp -c .setpdfwrite -f test.ps
%%[ ProductName: GNU Ghostscript ]%%
%%[Page: 1]%%
%%[LastPage]%%
So, the problem appears to be with the pdfwrite output device on
ghostscript.
Any ideas?
James
P.S. I am not running under "Administrator" privleges under windows 2000.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: test.ps
Type: application/postscript
Size: 20419 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20020607/fd3f861a/attachment.ps>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list