Updated Tcl Tk and Tix

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 11 12:24:00 GMT 2002

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> The tcltk package in cygwin has some cygwin knowledge but it is not
> complete.
>
> Maybe we can stop talking about this now?
>
> If you want to help, check out (via CVS) the tcl/tk 8.3 sources from
> sources.redhat.com and offer your help in the insight mailing list for
> tracking down problems.
>
> As I said previously, future packages will be based on this.  If you
> want to improve things, stop complaining and start contributing.

I believe Nicholas DOES want to help -- but was confused as to where to
start.  He mentioned the idea to me, but I couldn't offer any advice
except "go to the list" -- because I'm confused too.

There's the cygwin official release, based on tcl/tk 8.0 with partial
cygwin support but MSWin GUI.  Because of Red Hat commercial concerns
vis a vis GNUpro, I imagine any official release of the 'tcl' and 'tk'
packages will ALWAYS use MSWin GUI's --- you don't want your GNUpro
customers to have to run the Xserver just to debug their code...

NEW INFO from cgf (of which neither I nor Nicholas were aware): However,
the cygwin support in that version of tcl/tk could be improved -- and
development in that direction, for tcl/tk-8.3 is happening on the
insight mailing list.  Gotcha.

There's also the issue that some folks -- me, for instance -- would like
a tcl/tk that DOES work with X11 (e.g for integration with Gnome/KDE,
etc).  How should *that* be attempted?  perhaps 'tcl-x' and 'tk-x'
packages installed under /usr/X11R6/ ?  Should those be based on the
official tcl/tk 8.3 sources, or on the "fork" (if it is a fork) that is
being worked on by the insight-on-cygwin guys...and where should this X
  version be discussed: also on the insight list, or on the cygwin-xfree
list, or here?  If not on the insight list, then how should the
tcl-x/tk-x and tcl/tk package development be coordinated?

And of course, there's the all-important question: suppose all the
technical details were worked out wrt tck/tk-8.3 on cygwin and
tcl-x/tk-x-8.3 on cygwin.  Would the tcl-x/tk-x packages be accepted for
distribution?  (e.g. would all this just be a waste of Nicholas' time?)

--Chuck