Console colors out of control

Thomas Baker thomas.baker@bi.fhg.de
Thu Jun 20 10:38:00 GMT 2002

I invoke bash under WIN2000 with a .bat file that executes bash
--login -i.  Wanting to tweak the colors of the bash window
(Properties -> Colors -> Screen Text, etc), I wrote down the
Red-Green-Blue values and changed dark blue to black, etc.
This worked as expected.

When I ran mutt, however, I suddenly had red and pink script
on a dark violet background.  So I change the colors of the
console window back to the original values, and this works,
but mutt still comes up with wacky colors.  Windows being
Windows, I reboot, but the wacky colors are still there
when I run mutt.  I edit .muttrc, commenting out the color
assignments, but still they remain.

My guess is that this is not a mutt problem per se, but
something to do with the color basis that mutt is taking as its
starting point.  Mutt wouldn't go and recalibrate its settings
on its own, would it?

My question is: is this a Cygwin-specific problem, or is it
purely Windows-related?  Any suggestions on how to get my
readable colors back?  I'm reduced to reading my email in
ten-minute shifts...!

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                Thomas.Baker@bi.fhg.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784