DLLs

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 20 14:34:00 GMT 2002

Sigh.  One of these days I really need to rewrite that docu.  I'll get
to it.  Eventually...

Scott A. Smith wrote:

>  1.) Is creation of a DLL using just gcc the preferred method now?

Yes.

> It is
>      certainly quite easy to use, but is this documented anywhere?

sort of.  'info gcc', 'info ld', but you have to know where to look or
you won't find it. :-(

> It seems
>      to automatically put in its own DLL entry point function as well?

Yes.

>  2.) If trying to make a DLL with multiple commands, should one never use ld
>      for linking (as I read on this list somewhere), but stick with gcc,
> such
>      as in the example above?

Yes.  Otherwise things get *really* complicated.  To get an idea of what
gcc does for you, look at /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/specs

>  3.) Is dllwrap supposed to just engulf the first 5 lines of the above
> example?

Dllwrap predates the inclusion of (most of) its code into ld.exe itself.
   So it is *very* old -- I've been doing this for years now, and I have
*never* directly invoked dllwrap when building a dll. (I believe
libtool-1.4.2 invokes dllwrap, but that's an indirect usage. :-)

>  4.) Using this multiple command method, is there a way to get dlltool or
> dllwrap
>      to automatically build a .DEF file so that one need not explictly  use
> nm on
>      the object files prior to these commands?

Dunno.

>  5.) Is dlltool and dllwrap to become obsolete?

IMO, they already are.

> Are there man pages for
> dllwrap?

No, I don't think so.  I think Mumit Khan's old gcc-cygwin site had the
most information about dllwrap.

> My questions partially stem from a attempt to use the Dev-C++ IDE to manage
> the build.

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! pant pant pant

I'm okay now.

But Dev-C++ IDE is way offtopic for this list.

>   6.) Anyone know why it is producing the undefined reference errors?

Probably because you're mixing dlls and import libs produced by
different compilers/linkers.  But that's just a guess.

--Chuck