malloc debug message: "memory not allocated"

Christopher Faylor cygwin@cygwin.com
Tue Jun 25 01:44:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 02:48:43PM -0400, Joe Buehler wrote:
>I had posted previously about a hang problem I am having.
>
>To attempt to track down what is going on, I built the latest
>cvs core code (1.3.11) with debugging on, and malloc debugging also.
>When I install and run the newly built code I get thousands
>of messages of the form:
>
>/usr/local/cygwin-src/src/winsup/cygwin/dtable.cc:478: memory not allocated
>
>This happens when I telnet in to the NT box, or ssh in.  It also happens
>whenever I run a command from the shell prompt.  Though it is not
>always at dtable.cc:478.
>
>This appears to be coming out of dlmalloc.c.  It looks like this message
>implies
>that a block of memory is in use but the allocator does not think
>it should be.
>
>Is that the correct interpretation of this message?

Possibly.  I think you have to compile dlmalloc with a higher level of
debugging to get it to tell you more.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .