setup.exe fails to find mirrors

Robert Collins robert.collins@syncretize.net
Sun Jun 30 22:07:00 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Foreman" <dforeman@stny.rr.com>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@syncretize.net>; <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 10:52 PM
Subject: RE: setup.exe fails to find mirrors

> I have tried using setup.exe to download via direct, IE5 and proxy. All 3
> fail the same way. I am knowledgeable in using FTP, and am willing to try
> download the packages this way, but, as others have pointed-out, I
shouldn't
> have to, given that setup.exe is the stated "proper" method. It also
appears
> that using stand-alone FTP is a 'caveat emptor' situation.

Using ftp to grab the files, then setup to install is a supported
configuration. Manual installs are the problem.

However it shouldn't be needed :].

There are two conversations we should now have.
1) How to get you installed.
2) How to fix setup.

For 1), I suggest the following: go to your favourite cygwin mirror site
(the url setup tries to download and is failing on is a list of such sites.)
Make a directory - say c:\cygwindownloads - and place the setup.ini and
setup.exe from that mirror site in the directory. Then reproducing the
diectory layout (i.e. cygwin-1.3.11-4.tar.bz2 goes in
c:\cygwindownloads\release\cygwin\ ) download any other packages that you
want. If you have the bandwidth and disk space, simply grabbing the entire
release directory is easiest.
Finally run setup from the directory you placed it in, select install from
local source, and you should be able to install happily.

For 2),
What MSIE settings do you have? Are the set to autoconfigure? do you use a
proxy.pac? What version of MSIE do you have, or do you use mozilla?
Setup should create 2 log files when you run it. Can you please send those
to me off-list?

Cheers,
Rob