Error when starting Cygwin shell: init_cygheap error

Stan Berka sberka@poptal.com
Fri Mar 1 17:55:00 GMT 2002

Hi,
I have the same problem as in the January thread cited below:

when starting the Cygwin shell I'm getting an error:

   9 [main] bash 2040 init_cygheap::etc_changed: Can't open /etc for
checking, Win32 error 1

I have checked that I don't have two cygwin1.dll in my PATH. When I
rename the cygwin1.dll in the /bin directory to something else, I'm
getting a message that cygwin1.dll is missing. So what can be the
problem?

BTW, when I do "which cygwin1.dll" from the shell it tells me:
/usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
There is no /usr/bin.  Is this a part of the problem?

Stan Berka, Pope & Talbot Inc.