"start" for Cygwin

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 2 21:15:00 GMT 2002


Michael Schaap wrote:


> (Chuck, if you think this would be a good addition for cygutils, feel 
> free to include it!  After all, I did "borrow" some of the code 
> framework from it.  :-) )


Hmmm...how does this differ from the "run" utility here:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/unversioned/run/

It may be entirely different; I'm not sure.  Certainly they were written 
for different purposes.  Run was intended to hide the console for GUI 
programs that still expect a stdout/stderr console.

Run doesn't use popt :-( so it doesn't have pretty help, but it can be 
compiled as a native windows app :-)

Anyway, I personally have no objection to including start in cygutils -- 
but the sudden appearance of a 'start.exe' command in /usr/bin (which 
could hide WINNT/start.exe) may cause consternation in some quarters.

FYI, I've just completed the following HOW-TO-CONTRIBUTE (to cygutils) 
document.  It will show up in /usr/doc/cygutils-X.Y.Z/ in the next 
release of cygutils.

--Chuck


-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: HOW-TO-CONTRIBUTE
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20020302/e0109205/attachment.ksh>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/


More information about the Cygwin mailing list