Prompt question

Barry Goldstein bag@shore.net
Wed Mar 6 13:17:00 GMT 2002

Sorry, but I'm a unix-newbie:

My /etc/passwd file is in fact a 0-byte file.

But when I type what you suggest
	mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd
it just sits there for a long time (and so I kill it with Ctrl-C.

And 'man mkpasswd' says it knows not what I ask.

???

BG

=================

At 03:45 PM 3/6/2002 -0500, Peter Buckley wrote:
>I would guess it gets the "I have no name!" thing because you need to do
>a "mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd". I don't think your domain username is in
>the passwd file, so it doesn't know who you are.
>
>HTH,
>Peter
>

>--
>1 Timothy 4:12 (NIV)- Don't let anyone look down on you because you are
>young, but set an example for the believers
>in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.
>
>Barry Goldstein wrote:
>
>> In the bash shell, my prompt seems to be the two lines below
>> 	I have no name!@INUK ~
>> 	$
>> INUK is the machine name (NT4), and '~' is my home directory, but where
>> does the thing get the 'I have no name' thing and how can I change it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> BG

==
Barry Goldstein              Pequod Software
124 Otis Street              bag@shore.net
Newtonville, MA 02460-1846   +1-617-332-5758 (home)
U.S.A.                       +1-509-756-7445 (fax)