Re^2: xdvi runtime error

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Thu Mar 7 07:48:00 GMT 2002

Nicolae,

At 07:15 2002-03-07, Nicolae Santean wrote:

>Thanks for your replay/advice . Let me share with you what I have
>found on my side:
>
>1. Apparently, the heap_chunk_in_mb registry does not always tweak
>the memory default limit for cygwin. Many people report this issue
>and it actually happened to me as well. But, here's what I tried:
>increased the value to 512Mb (instead of 256Mb - what I wanted)
>and I finally got my 256Mb (sharp) increase. I guess I have to
>set it to double what I want in order to get it (?).

Are you sure you've analyzed this problem correctly? If you want to
realloc() an N-byte block to size M, there's a transient need for
approximately N+M bytes (while the content from the old block is being
copied to the new one). If the realloc() size increment is small, then the
transient memory demand is approximately 2*N.

>2. I have fixed one of my xdvi problems: the error "setsid: Not owner"
>is due to the fact that xdvi calls vfork(), if not instructed to do
>otherwise. Apparently vfork() is not supported and I fixed the problem
>by redefining vfork as fork.
>
>3. Now, that I have increased the cygwin memory limit, xdvi goes to
>256Mb and dies there, so I guess I was right about this abnormal run.
>I will try to follow the indication about fcntl(F_SETOWN) - thanks
>for the advice.
>
>I found the same xdvi problem reported on the XFree86 mail list
>- with no follow-ups. So, I'll keep digging.
>
>Thanks again, and if you find more related clues, please let me know.
>
>Nic. Santean

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA