Missing lib

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Mon Mar 11 08:30:00 GMT 2002

Please keep replies on the list.  The results may be of interest to others
and, more importantly, there is certainly more information in the minds of
many than in the mind of one (mine).

Forgive me but I have no idea what libdl.a is, regardless of whether it's
in Linux or not.  It is a fact that Cygwin has as one of it's goals to
make porting from *nix easier.  However, it is also a fact that Cygwin !=
*nix.  There are missing pieces, for whatever reason.  However, it's clear
that gcc neither relies on nor automatically includes libdl.a in the link
line.  If it did the former, gcc wouldn't work on Cygwin (which it does).  If
the latter, it would show up in the specs file, which it doesn't.  So I'd say
this is just a difference between the two platforms, plain and simple.

But, to get to your assertion that libdl.a must be in the Cygwin distribution,
one can always check whether a particular file is in *any* Cygwin package by
consulting http://cygwin.com/packages/.  This is what I did prior to answering
your query.  It didn't show up.

Perhaps if I (and the list) had a better idea of the functionality for which
you are looking, I might be able to tell you where you will find it (assuming
that it's in some other library in the Cygwin environment).  It's also
possible that I'm the only one on this list that doesn't know what libdl.a
does! ;-)