Installing from local directory -- trying to avoid massive duplication of effort

Phil Edwards phil@jaj.com
Fri Mar 15 11:47:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 03:37:26PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 03:25:36PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:
> >Oh, it wouldn't be "people" using setup.exe; it would be me.  Over and
> >over and over and over...
>
> And you're infallible?  This is YA reason why you should just script this.

Yes and yes.  :-)

> >Hmmmmm... so, something like
> >
> >    0)  choose download-only mode
> >    1)  select the packages I want
> >    2)  download them
> >    3)  edit setup.ini and add 'Base' to the "category:" line for the
> >        additional packages I want to install (and have downloaded)
> >    4)  on each client system,
> >     4a)  make the package "cache" and edited setup.ini available
> >     4b)  choose install-from-local
> >    5)  fervent invocation of deity
> >
> >I'll try this once my experimentatal-W2K box gets done thrashing around.

(Followup note:  it works flawlessly.  I only need a finishing script to
call mkpasswd (need to extract a domain account and append it to /etc/passwd,
otherwise all the usernames are wrong) and run the ssh-*-config scripts.)

Phil