Telneting/ftping to cygwin

David Starks-Browning starksb@ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 19 05:49:00 GMT 2002

On Monday 18 Mar 02, Christopher Faylor writes:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:54:48PM +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:

> >> Well, a "me too" isn't actually helpful.  Helpful would be if
> >> somebody who has that problem would debug that.  Gdb and strace
> >> are your friend.
> >
> >I have the same problem.  I notice it's only been reported on NT 4.
> >Corinna and Chris, are you unable to reproduce it on NT4, or are you
> >not running NT 4?
>
> It just occurred to me that this could be a protection problem, either
> with the cygwin DLL or with one of the executables that are being run.
>
> Do you have the same problem when you type in a command window:
>
>   set CYGWIN=ntsec
>   bash
>   ls -l /bin/cygwin1.dll
>
> ?
>
> You should see that cygwin1.dll is executable in this scenario.

I did not notice any obvious permission problems when I enabled
ntsec.  Everything I found showed up as mode 777, at least, everything
I looked at in /bin, /lib, /etc (ssh host keys were 700, but we're
not talking about ssh here).

However, I did discover that if I enable ntsec, then I can
successfully login!

I've made several superstitious changes to /etc/passwd, /etc/group,
but the bottom line is I can now login (telnet and ssh) only with
ntsec set.  If I disable ntsec, I get the usual:

	System Process - Application Error : The application failed to
	initialize properly (0xc0000022).  Click on OK to terminate
	the application.

But only with a domain account.  If I login to a local account, it
succeeds, even without ntsec.

So now I'm running with ntsec.  Chris and Corinna (when back from
vacation), have you tried duplicating this with ntsec disabled,
logging into a domain account?

(BTW, I am quite willing to live with ntsec enabled from now on.)

Thanks,
David