Not all mans available

Michael A Chase mchase@ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 19 06:48:00 GMT 2002

From: "Robert Mark Bram" <relaxedrob@optushome.com.au>
To: "Cygwin" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 03:43
Subject: RE: Not all mans available

> >So I guess that the right thing to do would be for the
> >postinstall script for each package that includes info files
> >to run install-info.  Looks like many don't, including diff
> >which doesn't have any postinstall script.  So as a work
> >around you'll have to build the dir file yourself.
>
> I don't suppose you could elaborate on this a little more could you? I
would
> like to try this out..
>
> This doesn't fix up the man thing though does it?
>
> I have tried both "man diff" and "man read" on a Sun OS's Bash - can those
> files be transferred?

For GNU programs, info is the appropriate command.  The man pages provided
in SunOS are for the versions of the programs provided with SunOS not the
versions in the Cygwin distribution.

I found myself rebuilding /usr/info/dir often enough that it was worth
adding a function to my .bashrc:

function build_info {
   cwd=$PWD
   cd /usr/info
   for f in *.info; do echo $f; install-info $f dir; done
   /usr/sbin/makewhatis
   cd $cwd
}

--