Telneting/ftping to cygwin

David Starks-Browning starksb@ebi.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 05:11:00 GMT 2002

On Wednesday 20 Mar 02, Christopher Faylor writes:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 10:10:53AM +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:
> >ntsec on
> >~~~~~~~~
> >uid=11024(starksb) gid=10513(Domain Users) groups=0(Everyone),545(Users),10513(Domain Users)
> >
> >ntsec off
> >~~~~~~~~~
> >uid=11024(starksb) gid=10513(Domain Users) groups=10513(Domain Users)
> >
> >When ntsec is off, "id" does not report membership in the local groups
> >Users and Everyone.  Again, I have no idea whether this is relevant,
> >but I thought I would report it.
> >
> >Hope this is useful.
>
> Have you tried a snapshot?  Rerunning mkpasswd/mkgroup from a snapshot may help.

No difference.  The entries I've got in /etc/group and /etc/passwd
look the same even when generated by the latest snapshot versions of
mkpasswd and mkgroup.

(BTW, in updating cygwin1.dll from the inst snapshot, I ended up with a
cygwin1.dll without execute permission.  So I can see where you got
your idea that it was a permission problem.  But in that case, I
couldn't start *any* Cygwin application at all.

Next time I bother with an inst snapshot I'll figure out exactly what
went wrong with those permissions, and add something to the FAQ in the
entry about installing snapshots.  It was the first time I'd done it
with ntsec on.)

Cheers,
David