installing Cygwin from CD-ROM

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Thu May 30 04:11:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Michael Wardle wrote:

> Hi

Hi Michael,

> I downloaded the latest available Cygwin release (2.218) in full from a
> local mirror using wget, and burned it onto a CD (setup.exe is at the
> root level).  When I try to run setup.exe directly off the CD and point
> it at E:\ for packages, the installer seems to sit there idle, yet if I
> copy the CD's contents to a local hard disk and run setup from there, it
> works correctly.
>
> Any idea what the problem might be?

What kind of system are you running on?  What's your burner software and
what CD format/options are you setting?  I grab most all of Cygwin, burn
to CD, and install from it on a fairly regular basis and I've not seen
this problem.  When you copy the CD to local disk, do you copy it
completely?  I presume you create a subdirectory on the local disk any
copy it to that?  As an off chance, try burning Cygwin under some
toplevel directory, like E:\cygwin instead of having it at the root of
the CD.  Also, only copy the 'release' directory and the setup.* files.

Just as an aside, I have seen a seemingly hanging condition while
installing from a network mounted Windows Share (actually a Samba
server).  Copying it locally did not solve the problem, however.  After
some paring down of extraneous directories, I discovered that the
toplevel directory 'xfree' was causing the hang.  If I renamed 'xfree'
to, say, 'old_xfree' the hang didn't occur.  I have not had time to run
setup under debug to shoot the problem.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>