cygwin - novell interaction

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Tue Nov 5 10:14:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 ljubomir.milanovic@philips.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using cygwin 1.3.12-2 on a Win2000 connected to a Novell
> network.
>
> My problem is that if I access a network files rapidly the network
> connection breaks down after few seconds (10-20) and remote
> server is not accessible (also not for windows tools). The problem
> is hard to reproduce (often is everything working fine).
>
> Following script illustrates the problem:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> while true
> do
>       t=`grep foo /cygdrive/n/path/to/network/file`
> done
>
> The problem persists also for 'n:/path...' filename form. If I add
> a 'sleep 1' command inside the loop or execute script on local
> drive everything is ok.

This sounds more like a Novel Client issue than a Cygwin issue.
Try running the following DOS batch file (as, say, xxx.bat).  Note that
this does not use any Cygwin commands at all and will only test the file
access from a pure Windows/DOS environment:

Rem run forever
:lab1
type n:\path\to\network\file
goto lab1

Be warned, that on a fast machine, it's difficult to break out of the
batch loop.  But, if it errors out, then it's not Cygwin that's at fault.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>