CYGWIN Installer should setup a root environment variable

Chris Walters chris.walters@pobox.com
Tue Nov 5 20:57:00 GMT 2002

I have experienced many times situations which I would like to refer to
CYGWIN's root directory from a bat script. The most generic solution
would be to utilise an environment variable such as CYGROOT or (as in
startxwin.bat) CYGWIN_ROOT to refer to the absolute windows pathname
(e.g. D:\cygwin). This would free us from making assumptions if it was
setup during the installation utility. The environment variable should
be setup for system if installed for "All Users".

NT Question: How does cygwin update the System registry (for environment
variables) if it is installed as a normal user? I can't modify it
myself, so how does the installer do it?

--
Chris Walters
|  ,-_|\   Chris Walters      <chris.walters@pobox.com> |