problem using mv with .exe files

Raffaele Nutricato rnutric@tin.it
Thu Nov 7 00:44:00 GMT 2002

Dear Sirs

I am Raffaele Nutricato,I would  report the following problem with cygwin:

I have a makefile where there are defined the following executables:

EXECUTABLES	= getorb lodr mdate convdate

as you can see this executables have names without the exestension .exe.
When I compile my source code with the gcc 2.95.3-5 the executables generated have the following
names
getorb.exe lodr.exe mdate.exe convdate.exe

The gcc automatically add the ".exe" extension.

 This causes an error when I try to install these executables by
 using the line:
 mv $(EXECUTABLES) $(BIN_DIR)
 because mv expects the name of the executables as:
 getorb lodr mdate convdate

 and not with the extension ".exe"

 If I change the line with the following:
 cp $(EXECUTABLES) $(BIN_DIR)

 the error doesn't occur.

 It seems that cp is capable to "understand" that .exe is omitted.

Best regards
Raffaele Nutricato