bash 2.05b-7 and command line tab completion

Eric Blake ebb9@email.byu.edu
Thu Nov 7 07:32:00 GMT 2002

I'm still having problems with tab completion in the latest bash:

$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(7)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
$ ll ~/jacks/jacks # I typed ll ~/ja[TAB]jacks
-rwxr-xr-x    1 eblake   unknown       558 Jul 24 18:33 jacks*
$ ~/jacks jacks # I typed ~/ja[TAB]jacks

I expected to get ~/jacks/jacks both times, but the bash is inserting a
space after ~/directory when it is the first (but not subsequent)
command line word.  However, /h[TAB]e[TAB]ja[TAB]jacks now works, giving
/home/eblake/jacks/jacks (and it hasn't always done so in prior versions
of bash).  So whatever was fixed to make /-based tab completion work
needs to also apply to ~-based tab completion.

--
This signature intentionally left boring.

Eric Blake             ebb9@email.byu.edu
   BYU student, free software programmer