pico and nano: number of lines displayed

Don Sharp dwsharp@iee.org
Wed Nov 13 06:48:00 GMT 2002

fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net wrote:

> Actually there is something going on here. I reverted to an earlier version
> of Cygwin and even in a non-fullscreen rxvt environment, any of nano, pico
> and vim use the entire available depth of the window to display the text
> file being edited (so that for instance in pico and nano the Help menu
> appears at the bottom of the page and 50+ lines of the file are visible).
>
> The latest current version of Cygwin now displays only 20 lines of the file
> being edited to screen, exactly as in a basic bash window.
>
> Sorry not to be more specific about when the change occurred, but I think it
> is absolutely recent. I use this size of window for these editors the whole
> time, and the altered presentation caught my eye immediately. Unfortunately
> all of cygwin, login and Goodness knows what have been updated recently and
> I am not competent to isolate cause, only consequence!
>
> (Surely somebody out there uses viim in a rxvt windows and has also noticed
> this difference, yesterday or the day before??)

I have a fully updated installation and I have never had a problem with
using vi and rxvt at 67 lines x 80 columns - see below.

$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 67; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase =
^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon
-ixoff
-iuclc -ixany imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0
vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop echoctl
echoke

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-4.0 DON 1.3.15(0.63/3/2) 2002-11-07 13:57 i686 unknown

Seems you might have a flaky installation.

Cheers

Don Sharp