Setup installed to c:/cygwin/usr/bin

Norton Allen allen@huarp.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 15 12:47:00 GMT 2002

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Norton Allen wrote:
> >   I just noticed that the original installer does not have
> >   any entry for Cygwin under HKEY_USERS whereas the other
> >   user does. Curious.
> >     -Norton
>
> Ah, there's your problem!  This was the guess I expressed two messages
> ago:

  Right, but the output of mount claims this has no effect on
  the actual mounts. And certainly as the other user (that
  has an HKEY_USERS entry) I certainly see /bin and /usr/bin
  as the same directory, and I don't see what is in
  c:\cygwin\usr\bin at all. [These points are not a contradicition
  to what you're saying, just reiterating the facts.]

> > Just a WAG, but does that other user have user mounts that maybe
> > override the system ones?
>
> If the output of mount is identical, then there may be a bug in mount
> processing, as user mounts should take precedence over system ones.  In
> any case, it looks like setup and cygwin view user and system mounts with
> different precedences.  Anyone care to comment on that?

  I would agree with that. It appears to me that setup fails to see
  the system mounts that cygwin sees. -Norton