.rhosts on W2K w/o ntsec

Christian Mueller Christian_Mueller@csgsystems.com
Mon Nov 18 03:41:00 GMT 2002


 >> The reason for this is obvious: I turned off ntsec, thus the
 >> .rhosts file is owned by whoever starts rshd (probably SYSTEM
 >> because I run it as a service). I'm running Cygwin on W2K/NTFS;
 >> my CYGWIN environment variable is "ntea nontsec".

 > Have you considered leaving ntsec on in the service environment but
 > turning it off in yours, after you get in?

 > Pierre

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I did consider it but I didn't really follow up on this idea 
because this would mean that all files created by subsequent processes 
like rsync would end up using ntsec and files being read would have 
the wrong permissions (i.e. from ntsec, not ntea).

Unless, of course, I turn ntsec off again as soon as ruserok() has 
completed. The only way to do this would be in /etc/profile. Is this 
safe, i.e. will Cygwin see the environment changing and turn off ntsec 
for *all* subsequent syscalls and processes, even after forking, 
setting new userids, ....?

Another problem would be that other services which don't start shells 
such as the IPC daemon, apache, etc. would end up using ntsec.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to store uid and gid in the extended 
attributes as well and use them if ntsec is turned off? At least for 
me this would be the perfect solution....

Cheers,
--Christian



--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list