/bin/shutdown on ME

Mark Blackburn marklist@fangorn.ca
Mon Nov 18 08:06:00 GMT 2002

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>Quoting from the ExitWindowsEx page on MSDN:
>  Windows 95/98/Me: ExitWindowEx does not work from a console application.
>(the typo is theirs)
>
>One solution I tried, consequently, is making shutdown into a window
>(WinMain) application, using the run program as a template.  No luck so
>far.  I can post the code I currently have, in case others have further
>insights.
>	Igor

If you run shutdown from a bash session in one of the old versions of
rxvt (the ones that were compiled as a GUI app) it works fine on Win98.

Personally I have two version of rxvt on my machine, the regular console
compiled one (-Wl,--subsystem,console) and one that is compiled as a GUI
app (-Wl,--subsystem,windows) and I rename it to rxvtw.

I do this because the way that cygwin interacts console programs tends
to lock up my machine every once in a while. Though I blame the Trident
9750 video driver since I get pretty patterns on the screen when it
locks up.